head

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Calm Down Jar Recipe


Yesterday I talked about how I am going to utilize calm down jars in my classroom this year. 
I liked the ones that I made before, but I really didn't like the bottles. I wanted a sleeker look, but I could only find glass bottles. I am sure as heck not giving an 8th grade a glass bottle when they are ticked off. 

Then I visited my friend in a bigger city than mine and found PLASTIC Voss water bottles at World Market and they were perfect!

I decided to give my friends with toddlers my old bottles and remake mine. 

I also wanted to tweak the recipe a bit. I think I finally perfected it to my liking so I thought I would share it with you!

 What you will need for each bottle:

  1. Plastic water bottle (I used Voss)
  2. 4.5 oz glitter glue (The Walmart brand ended up being the best for this)
  3. Glitter in different sizes (I used large, medium, and fine glitter flakes)
  4. 1 cup corn syrup
  5. 2 tablespoons Elmers Gel Glue
  6. 2 cups HOT water
  7. Gorilla Glue



Step one:
  • Pour the glitter into the bottom of the empty bottle. 
  • You can use as little or a much as you like, but I like about 3/4 of an inch.
  • I tried adding the glitter in different ways and it worked best this way for me.  

 Step Two:

  • Pour the 4.5 oz of glitter glue and 1 cup corn syrup into a mixing bowl.
  • Add two cups HOT tap water.
  • Whisk it all together.

I felt kind of like The Pioneer Woman at this moment I gotta say.

 Step Three:
  • While the mixture is still swirling in the mixing bowl, carefully pour it into your water bottle.
  • Make sure you fill it all the way to the top so no air remains.
  • Shake up your bottle vigorously so all the glitter and liquid get to know one another. 
Step Four:
  • Let the bottle sit for awhile until all the glitter falls to the bottom. 
  • If any glitter gets stuck at the top you can use a drop of dish detergent in the water. 

Step Five:


  • Gorilla glue the crap out of the lid so that middle school students don't unscrew the lid. 

  • Step Six:

    • Enjoy!
    •  




    Below are the bottles currently available in my store. If you like one in particular and it is sold out just let me know!










    13 comments:

    1. I just made these - they are super mesmerizing! I wanted 2 of 2 different colors and sort of ended up with 4 because there was left over liquid. I'm hoping they work - thanks for the idea and recipe. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    3. What happens if you use food coloring?

      ReplyDelete
    4. What exactly is corn syrup? I live in Ireland and I haven't heard of it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You can try golden syrup instead. Karo is the brand for corn syrup here in the US. The light corn syrup is similar to golden syrup although with less flavor. Dark corn syrup is like treacle.

        Delete
    5. You don't indicate when to add the 2 TBLS of Gel Glue. Should I add it into the water mixture?

      ReplyDelete
    6. You don't indicate when to add the 2 TBLS of Gel Glue. Should I add it into the water mixture?

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'm wondering the same thing as Shelley - You don't indicate when to add the 2 TBLS of Gel Glue. Should I add it into the water mixture?

      ReplyDelete
    8. Are the chill out bottles still for sale? I can't find them in your TPT store.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Do you have karo syrup? Same kind of thing

      ReplyDelete
    10. Uttar Pradesh Education Board will conduct counselling process of UP BTC 2020. We will update every important link of UP BTC counselling 2020 on our page. Candidates will be able to check their UP BTC 2020 Counselling result directly on our website.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Keep up the excellent work, osg777 I read few articles on this site and I think that your web blog is real interesting and Power to the People of excellent information.

      ReplyDelete
    12. I want to pay my gratitude to you for sharing such an exciting and informative blog. Now, I would like to induce your attention to one of the leading mobile app development company . which excels in providing a wide range of Android and iOS app development services at an affordable cost.

      ReplyDelete