head

Friday, February 15, 2019

Let Them Have Cake!


One of the advantages of being a teacher is finding people that have some of the same interests as I do. One of my number one interests is reading. Last year all of my 8thgrade girls got me into the Twilight series. I believe that I became more obsessed that any of them ever were (which is really hard when you are a tween). 

Once I got into the books I discovered that other teacher friends also love the book series. I have now attended three different midnight release parties based around the book. The Breaking Dawn release party, the movie release party, and most recently the DVD release party. 

After a particularly grueling work week a bunch of female teachers decided that we would get together and have a pajama party before going to by the movie as midnight and watching it. 

Being responsible adults we decided we should go by the store ahead of time and ask if we needed to do anything to ensure we would receive a movie before they ran out. 

It took an extremely long time to find a store worker but when we did we found a little old lady with baby doll bows all throughout her hair and barely any teeth. We asked her if she knew anything about the release party. She responded, “I heard something about sheet cake, and there are going to be books or something. Hold on let me ask someone else for you. Hey Merv! You heard anything about that Twilight release party?” 

Merv comes up suddenly behinds us revealing that is a store manager who must be really important because he is wearing a headset AND a Bluetooth on his head and says, “Yes, there is going to be sheet cake.”

The little old lady turns to us with a smile and says, “See I told you there was cake!”

The teachers that were with me smiled and looked around awkwardly as it was the most Deliverance like situation we had ever been apart of. Finally I broke the silence and explained to the workers that while we are extremely excited at the prospect of cake we wondered if we needed to get tickets or pre pay for the movie. 

They both assured us that they would have plenty of movies for everyone. 

We thanked them and went on our merry way.

That evening at about 11:50 we returned to the store and found a group of about 150 people standing in two orderly lines inside of the store near the movie department. These 150 people made less noise that my class of 15 does most days. It was amazing how quiet everyone was. 

Lo and behold and precisely the same moment Merv walks in front of the docile crowd and shouts out, “Everyone please remain calm! Form two orderly lines at registers 25 and 26. Please do not run or push we have enough movies for everyone. Please stay calm. Also, we have sheet cake while you wait!”

I started laughing uncontrollably at Merv’s obvious concern that the quiet group of Twilight fans would turn into a bloodthirsty mob. 

Merv was not amused. 


Epilogue:
The next day one of the teachers went into town to get her hair down. While she was at the beauty shop she noticed her hairdresser had a copy of Twilight. She made a mention of it and her hairdresser said, “Yes, I went to that midnight release party too! Did you have any of the cake?”


Now I’ve got to know, what was in that damn cake??

No comments:

Post a Comment