head

Friday, February 15, 2019

Teacher Interview Tips


Tell us About Yourself…

Before I obtained my first job I had to go through the wonderful process of interviewing.

The first interview I ever went on went seemingly great. We talked for an hour and a half with witty banter and standardized test/ teacher jargon peppered throughout the conversation. They told me they were really impressed with me and would give me an answer by the end of the week.

Two months later I received a letter stating: “The position you have applied for has been filled. Thank you for your interest.”

The second interview I went on I had to drive five hours out of town. When it finally came time for the interview the principal asked me one question, “Tell us about yourself.”

After I answered the question they said, “Thank you, we’ll get back to you” (They never got back to me). The whole way out to my car the only thought running through my head was “I drove five hours to be asked THAT?”

The last interview I went on was for a school that I did NOT want to teach at. I walked into the interview full of confidence and ready to answer the all-important “Tell us about yourself” question. However, the principal had other plans. He said “I have two questions for you.”

Since I was feeling cocky and didn’t really want the job I answered nonchalantly “Shoot”

“What would you do if in the middle of one of your riveting lectures a student bursts out by saying ‘SH@#!’”?

“Well, sir, I wouldn’t want to interrupt my riveting lecture, or the learning process of others; so I would give him a non-verbal warning and would reprimand him after class.”

“Wonderful!  Now, for the most important question…. we have a lot of teacher turnover, if offered this position are you planning to stick around?”

“Yes sir, I am”

The principal and the assistant principal both look at each other with Cheshire cat grins and the principal stated:

“Well then Ms. Potter we are prepared to offer you a job today!”

Looking back on this incident I can almost hear the non-audible “SUCKA!!!!!” that passed between them.

Reflection:
It has been 14 years since that job interview and I have had several since then. I have been lucky enough to get every teaching job that I applied for. Here are some of my job interview tip from me to you!

Professionalism
For the love of everything, please dress like a professional. I have seen so many teachers come into my schools for the interview looking like they just rolled out of bed it’s crazy! You are making your first, and perhaps only, impression on these people. Look up the school’s dress code before you go and don’t where anything that is not allowed on the dress code! Iron your clothes. Look like you WANT this job!


Get ready to talk about yourself…a lot
Principals want to know who you are. The way that I always describe myself is as such, “I’m 35 years old and live at home with 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 birds (It’s a full house!) In my downtime I like to read as much as possible and attend escape rooms. I’ve been an English teacher for the last 14 years. During that time I have had many ups and downs. My first-year teaching was rough, but I preserved and by the end of the year I had those children eating out of my hands, which was no easy feat! I love to teach with technology by infusing my curriculum with music and video clips to grab the students’ attention. Last but not least, I am the type of teacher that believes in handing my classroom myself! That means that I know that as soon as I call the office I have lost control of the situation and respect from my students. Unless it is an emergency I like to keep classroom issues within the classroom. 

Have a pitch for your teaching philosophy
Principals want to know that YOU know who you are as a teacher. Prepare yourself to answer the following questions: How do you believe a student's day should be structured? How should they be managed? How do you prevent bullying? Are you going to be a disciplinarian, soft spoken, have a tough love approach, etc…? I always let my interviewer know that I was a sarcastic no nonsense teacher. In my classroom, it is not an argument. You are there to learn. Period.  

Smile
Personally I dislike smiling on principal, but in a job interview you are going to want to be as personable as humanly possible. Smile and laugh even if you are nervous!

It's okay to pause
Sometimes in interviews people tend to get so nervous that they forget that it is okay to THINK for a moment before answering. Take a minute to reflect on what has been asked of you and THEN answer the question. It shows that you have really thought about their question and care about giving them the right answer. 

Do you play well with others?
I have yet to be in a job interview where I am not asked how I work with others. Working with other, ESPECIALLY in the teaching world is really important. You guys are soldiers out in the trenches together and you have to have each other's backs. It is not every man for him or herself in teaching! Let them know that you value others' opinions, that you seek it out, that you love to collaborate, etc...

It is okay not to know and say so!
There have been times that principals have stumped me with interview questions. Rather than try to stumble through with a nonsensical answer I have been honest and said that I didn't know and would they be willing to tell me more about it. Don't be ashamed or try to show off, we are just human we can't know EVERYTHING!


1 comment:

  1. I've got a bunch of interview questions on my site which I think will help your readers on their job hunt!

    ReplyDelete