head

Friday, March 29, 2013

Book Friends

My greatest stress reliever is reading books. I get absorbed into another world and feel like the characters are my friends. I have a VERY hard time letting go of characters when I finish a book because I become to inordinately attaching to them.

I was thinking recently about that question that people ask a lot, "Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?" This got me to thinking about who my dream friends would be if I could pick them. This is what I came up with:

Anne of Green Gables

Anne was imaginative, spunky, and loyal to the bitter end. Loyalty has always been big with me. I will fight for my friendships until the bitter end as well. Unfortunately we live in a society where people tend to take advantage of that character trait. I don't think Anne with an E would take advantage and we would be bosom buddies!

David Sedaris

This one would count since most of his stories are autobiographical so technically he is a character in his books. I don't laugh out loud at many things in books and I actually do with David's books so I can just imagine what it would be like to be friends with him. I think it would be both fun and terrifying to verbally spar with him. Sometimes it takes me a little longer to be quick witted when I don't have the luxury of a written response time, but it would still be fun!

Ramona Quimby

I read this books OVER and OVER when I was younger and still read them now when I need a pick me up. There are times when her brain works a lot like mine (Pretending to be on tv and getting burrs stuck in her hair). There are times when she gets on my nerves (I don't think I was ever as loud as she is). However, I think we would get along splendidly. 

Stacey from The Babysitters Club

How could you not want to be friends with Stacey? She was fun, fashionable, and worldly (she was from NYC for crying out loud!). She hit a rough patch at one point when she fell in with the wrong crowd of girls for a few books, but she came back!

The Animals from the Bunnicula books

I love animals and I used to love vampires/spooky things. What else is there to say!

Trixie Belden and the Bob Whites

I read al of these books growing up and used to dream about being a part of their group. A few of my childhood friends and I instituted our own Bob Whites of Alberta and tried to be like them. This is all we accomplished:

The case of the missing mailbox
A mailbox in our neighborhood went missing so we took notes and conducted interviews to find out where the mailbox went. Turns out they were installing a new mailbox. 
Status: Case Closed!

The case of the man on the railroad tracks
We thought there was a shadowy figure on the old railroad tracks behind my house. Turns out it was a tall pile of rocks. 
Status: Case Closed!

We also preformed unauthorized baptisms on our cabbage patch dolls. (We were weird kids)

I still have all of our old case files and notes. 


I am sure that I could think of many others, but these are the ones that I can remember wishing about for many years!

Any literary characters you would love to have to dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment