head

Monday, May 20, 2013

Classroom Noise Tracker

I don't know about your kids but my kids do NOT understand volume control in the slightest. 

It doesn't matter if someone is sitting one foot away from them my students will YELL their conversations at each other. 

I cannot stand a LOUD classroom. I don't mind controlled chaos but I absolutely abhor just straight up chaos. 

I have seen the "ball noise tracker" that is going around Pinterest, but there are two issues I have with that. 

1. It is blocked at my school
2. I Know the kids would find it too much fun to make the balls bounce (and then scream and laugh about the fact that they are making the "balls" bounce) 


I did a search and found this useful online tool:
http://www.ictgames.com/calmCounter.html


You can change the sensitivity level if you are a teacher that can handle more noise, or if you are like me you will want to keep it around 8 or 7!

I have been using it in class and it has worked GREAT!

I have a few rules that go along with this.

If the noise tracker is on the screen if the kids go into the red

First offense: Five minutes of silence
Second offense: Ten minutes of silence
Third offense: The ability to talk or work in groups is off the table (you have no one to blame but yourselves!)


No comments:

Post a Comment