head

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Original YOLO


Over the past year YOLO has taken off among my students. They like to yell it whenever they are about to do something less than admirable and they like to wear YOLO bracelets like the one above. 


YOLO stands for You Only Live Once, but I don't think that they grasp the concept of what YOLO truly means. 

Over the weekend SNL did a parody of YOLO that I find both catchy and amusing. 


My mentee absolutely abhors the YOLO trend! We went out to dinner after work on Thursday. She was trying to decide how many chicken wings she wanted to order and the waiter said, "YOLO!" I thought she was going to deck the poor guy right then and there. 


Instead she schooled him on the origins of YOLO by telling him about Carpe Diem and The Dead Poets Society. He has no idea what she was talking about which surprised me since he was fairly close in age to us. 

I realized that my students probably have no idea that YOLO is a modern version of Carpe Diem and that perhaps I should "school" my students on the true origins and meaning of YOLO.

Obviously DPS isn't the true ORIGIN of Carpe Diem, but it would be a great start don't you think?

"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary. "



If they are still having issues I would remind that that seizing the day does not mean:
An example of what students (this is not my student) think YOLO means.

True example of seizing the day
I love this movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment