head

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Classroom Organization- Material Bags


I know every teacher HATES the statement, "I don't have anything to write with." 

I came up with an idea three years ago that has worked out pretty well. 

That idea is to velcro material bags to each student desk filled with everything they will ever need. 

My bags include:
  • Pen 
  • Pencil
  • Red, Green, Yellow Highlighters (For step up to writing)
  • Scissors
  • Post it Notes
  • Eraser
  • Glue Stick
  • Inventory Card
  • Number
The Number Serves several purposes:

1. 
I tried to come up with a way to make sure the items don't get stolen and my mother is actually the one that gave me the idea that worked. 

Because each bag has a number inside of it, the last 2 minutes of each class I hold a raffle and pull a random number out of a cup. I check that person's bag and sign off on their inventory index card. If they have all the supplies they are given a piece of candy or pencil of their own. If they do not, they get nothing. 

I keep a refill station in the classroom where students can replace worn out/down items when needed.

2.
I bought two sets of numbers and on the first day of school I give students a number and they find the material bag with the same number (I like to randomize seats the first day of school).

3.
If I want to change seating arrangements later in the year all I need to do is un velcro the bags and move the students' numbers to the desk I wish them to occupy. So much easier than name tags! 





This has actually worked out better than I thought it would!

No comments:

Post a Comment