head

Monday, February 25, 2013

Odd Couples

I've written a few times about how I have one class that is just AWFUL to one another this year. 

Every Friday we have to spend 36 minutes doing the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program.   

The class that I have to meet with is the class that treats each other like crap (Which I suppose is fitting for the topic at hand). I think that a lot of the "activities" provided for us are extremely dated and very juvenile for 8th graders so I try to come up with some of my own activities to fill the time slot. 

If you know anything at ALL about me by now you know I love animals so I thought I could tie the two themes together!


I found a collection of clips about animals working together or odd animal couples I thought I could show in class:





I thought I could have a discussion with the students after showing the clips about why they think these odd couplings and teamwork work. 

I could maybe tie in the idea of different colored eggs.

Even though they are different on the outside, they have a lot of the same feelings inside.

One of the clips ends with the quote,"It seems that survival in the animal kingdom hinges not only on being the fittest, but also being a friend." 

I LOVE this quote because I think a lot of my students focus on being the "Fittest" rather than being a "Friend."

If we have time after the videos and discussion I think I would like to have students write about why being the "fittest" doesn't mean not being a "friend."

***On another note I have a student who is OBSESSED with the weather and I was trying to think of a way to incorporate a bully lesson in with the weather, but I am feeling stumped.....any ideas out there? 

No comments:

Post a Comment