head

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Famous Failures

I have a big issue this year with kids saying that things are, "Too hardddddd."

Things that have taken previous years 10 minutes will take this group of students 45. 

I feel like students are babied too much and instead of MAKING them do hard things, people have given into them and made life easier on them. 

I refuse to let this continue to be the case and coddle my kids along. 

When we get back from spring break I plan to show them these images:



Then I will show them this video:


The message that I am trying to give them is that

What if all of those previous people had said, "It's too hard, I'm done."

(I might have them make inferences about how the world would be different)

Then, I am going to have them fold a piece of paper in thirds. 

In the middle, I will ask them come up with a goal that they would like to accomplish (hopefully in my class) by the end of the school year.  

On either side I am going to have them write about how life would change for them if they accomplish or don't accomplish said goal. 

I really want them to think about the causes and effects of their actions (which have been basically nothing this year). 

I'll let you know how it goes!





No comments:

Post a Comment